Live From Day One of the Second World Conference on Bioethics and Animal Rights in Brazil

Olá from day one of the Second World Conference on Bioethics and Animal Rights.  First, I would like to say that I am very thankful that Pace Law School and the Center for Environmental Legal Studies provided me with the opportunity to attend this prestigious and world-renown conference and for all of the conference organizers’ hard work and hospitality.  As the presentations I have attended thus far have been informative and thought-provoking for me, I will do my best to share my experience with you.

The Conference was organized and sponsored by the Graduate Program in Law at the Federal University of Bahia and the Abolitionist Animal Institute.  The goal of the conference was to discuss and understand current trends and research in bioethics, environmental law, and animal rights.

Professor David Cassuto of Pace Law School and Director of the Brazil-American Institute for Law and Environment (BAILE) spoke first after introductions and honorariums, discussing current trends in environmental law and the animal world.  Next, Carlos Maria Romeo Casabona of Deusto University Bilbao in Spain spoke about “Bioethics and its Perspective in Contemporary Society.”  Professor Pamela Frasch of Lewis and Clark Law School then spoke on animal rights research, trends, animal law education, and the fabulous animal law programs Lewis and Clark offers.

-Elizabeth Bennett