Halfway Through

As I enter the old Victorian house where our law review offices are held, I am reminded that it is in fact almost Christmas time, and nearly everyone else is busy composing elaborate lists (of either the grocery or wish kind). It can be so easy to forget the holidays when you are in the ivory tower that is law school and unable to see past the 23rd, the day of your last final.

I realized that this is exactly what law review has done for me over the past semester; it has served as a reminder of the world outside of law school, and the reason why I came here in the first place. Amidst the barrage of assignments and flash cards you can forget that these concepts you’re forced to memorize are actually used in the legal world and worse, you can even forget why you ever wanted to enter the legal world. Environmental law review has reminded me of the driving force behind my decision to come to law school: to create effective environmental policies that leave the environment better off than when I started (even if it is just a little bit).

Working on law review has kept me informed of emerging environmental law topics while also allowing me to research in-depth one subject of my choosing.

Don’t get me wrong; there are times when the work can be daunting, especially considering all of the other responsibilities one commits to as a law student, but I am grateful for the opportunity to have a weekly reminder of why I’m putting myself through all of this.