The Holiday Season

Ahhh! FINALS! They’re finally here. So at a time when no one can think about anything else, I don’t even want to talk about the fact that I will not be able to celebrate any milestones of family and friends that happen in December. Or the fact that I won’t be able to attend any holiday parties scheduled before December 17th (which let’s face it, is the majority of them). Or the fact that another student taking MY spot in the library can either make me want to cry or punch them, both completely inappropriate responses. Or that I find myself sighing an inordinate amount and giving myself embarrassing internal pep talks. Okay, well maybe I want to talk about it a little.

But what I really want to talk about, at a time when most people are questioning what on earth they were thinking going to law school, is a little Pace appreciation. Yes law school is stressful and pretty much sucks up all of your time for three precious years of your life, BUT we are really lucky to go to a school that also has programs and faculty that attempt to balance out this stress.

Trust me, I know how you’re feeling about a professor who is still assigning reading and teaching new material a week before finals, making it impossible to finish your outline even if you had time to. But then you get an email from that same professor which says something along the lines of, “Don’t forget to look at my old exams because I “borrow” a lot of my old questions. Also, I will accept questions right up until the day before the exam.” It’s moments like these that you remember that our professors actually want us to do well and are incredibly supportive and willing to help us. Now I haven’t been a student at any other law school, but I’m willing to guess that most schools don’t have as many professors with an open door policy that are willing to take the time to work with students and help them with their studies and beyond. So take advantage of this, even if it’s just asking a question about something you learned that you aren’t quite sure about.

Another great thing about Pace is all the special programs it offers, including externships, which are offered literally all over the world. So if you’re anything like me and you need a change of scenery once in a while, these various externship programs might be just what you’re looking for. I spent the past summer working in Washington, DC and getting credit for it. I went to undergrad there so not terribly exciting, but still a nice change from White Plains. It’s pretty nice to walk by the White House on your way to work as opposed to a WalMart on your way to school. And next semester I will be in London, taking some courses that are offered here and some that aren’t. Not only that, I will also be doing an internship, and with any luck, it will be one that requires a wig. Who knew you could study abroad in law school, but I’m taking advantage of it! I have a pretty good feeling that when I look back at my time in law school, these are going to be the things that I remember.

So I realize it’s a little late for Thanksgiving and I’m sure none of you were feeling particularly thankful that day, when you knew how much studying you should be doing, but these are a few things that I am thankful for at Pace.