Welcome New PELR Associates!

PELR would like to congratulate our new Associates, and welcome them to the Pace Environmental Law Review. We are extremely proud of their accomplishments, backgrounds, and prior work experience.

PELR’S new Associates are: Amanda Kukle, Ann Bermont, Ashley White, Barbara Santisteban, Cailtlin White, Charles Mottier, Conor Walline, Desiree Salomone, Edward Teyber, Hilary Atzrott, James Lierman, John Bowie, John Dalo, Kaitlyn Allen, Kimberly Pierce Cortes, Lisa Covert, Lisa Weinstein, Megan Hopper-Rebegea, Nicole Sasaki, Sara Papasidero, Sarah Tuttle, Shannon Degnan, Sophia Ressler, Steven Gavin

We asked them to share a little about themselves to highlight this amazing group of law students.

Ashley White

I grew up in a small town in the middle of Kentucky. Right before entering high school, my mother remarried into the military and we moved to northern Virginia. This move caused me to pick Virginia Tech as my college. At Virginia Tech I originally wanted to be a vet. I eventually changed my major to Environmental Policy and Planning after discovering the medical field wasn’t for me. I had always cared about the environment, especially climate change, but had not thought as it as a viable career till halfway through college. I now attend Pace Law School to further my environmental education.

This summer I worked at the EPA and dealt with compliance monitoring legal issues. I was given some policy work as well. Blending my B.S. in Environmental Policy and Planning and my first year of law school was an extremely rewarding experience. I hope to take this summer experience and eventually be a government attorney working on environmental issues. I hope to help in the fight for a sustainable future.

2012 Summer Position: Summer Law Clerk, U. S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance, Office of Compliance, Monitoring Assistance and Media Programs Division

Ann Bermont

Environmental law has long been an interest of mine, and after a career in the arts, I decided to pursue a career in law. I have a degree in violin performance from the Boston Conservatory, and have spent the last ten years performing in North and South America, Europe and Asia. This past summer, I completed my first year of law school as a member of the January 2014 class at Pace. I hope to work on behalf of private citizens or the EPA to bring enforcement actions beneficial to environmental interests.

Barbara Santisteban

I grew up in Puerto Rico, in love with its rivers and forests. After graduating from high school there, I studied environmental studies at Brown University, with a focus on policy for fisheries conservation. While at Brown, I studied abroad in Australia, living in a forest cabin for a semester doing bird and bat surveys and growing my love for GIS and hikes. This summer, I was a summer associate at Jones Day’s New York office, working in areas such as real estate and SEC enforcement. I hope to continue developing my legal skills at Pace to work as an environmental attorney in a firm or government agency, integrating my language skills whenever possible.

2012 Summer Position: Summer Associate, Jones Day, New York

Charles Mottier

I was raised near the coast of Florida where I cultured a strong interest in biology and environmental issues through my proximity to multiple, dynamic ecosystems. I attended the University of Florida where I earned my Bachelor of Science with a major in Botany. After my undergraduate studies, I enrolled at Pace Law in order to put my environmental knowledge to its most effective and practical use, that is as a foundation on which to become an attorney focusing on environmental and international issues. I hope to use my experiences at Pace Law to further the cause of environmental conservation and to segue into the field of space law, focusing on conservation of Earth’s orbital environment.

2012 Summer Position: Judicial Extern to Judge Timothy S. Black at the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio

Conor Walline

I grew up in Idaho Falls, Idaho and graduated summa cum laude from Westminster College in 2008 with a Bachelor of Arts in philosophy and sociology. While at Westminster, I assisted in writing a recycling proposal for the College that was ultimately implemented by the school administration. I also graduated from the University of Utah in 2011 with a Master of Science in philosophy, completing my thesis on “The Value of Lockean Labor-Mixing: A Critique of Nozick’s Ownership-by-Fiat Theory of Property,” and working as both a research assistant for Dr. Peggy Battin and a graduate instructor for introductory philosophy courses. I am currently a second year law student involved in Pace’s Land Use and Sustainable Development Law Society, Environmental Law Society, and Federal Judicial Honors Program. I have been Professor Noa Ben-Asher’s research assistant since December 2011 and began my work with Professor John Nolon at the Land Use Law Center in May 2012. I expect to graduate from Pace Law School in 2014 with a J.D. and Certificate in Environmental Law, and then move onto nonprofit environmental practice.

2012 Summer Position: Legal intern, Land Use Law Center; Research Assistant, Professor John R. Nolon & Professor Noa Ben-Asher

Desiree Salomone

Desiree hails from a small town in Southern California. She received her B.A. from Sarah Lawrence College in 2006, concentrating on gender studies. Following receipt of her bachelor’s degree, she moved back to California and worked in the Los Angeles criminal justice system as a counselor to juvenile sex-offenders in court-mandated residential placement. Sometimes working in direct services felt like putting a Band-Aid on a stab-wound, inspiring Desiree to enter the twin fields of law and policy.
Desiree aspires to obtain dual certificates in International Law and Public Interest Law and to work in the field of international humanitarian law or LGBTQ law. She gets particularly excited about microfinance in developing nations, powerful women, and her pets, Pegasus and Stevie Nicks.

2012 Summer Position: Intern, Office of the Prosecutor, United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda in Arusha, Tanzania.

Edward Teyber

I came to Pace Law School to work on my juris doctorate after graduating from University of California Santa Barbara with a Bachelor’s in Environmental Studies. My interests lie in sustainable community development, land and natural resource allocation. This summer in addition to my responsibilities as a legal intern at the Land Use Law Center, I was a member of the student editorial board of the American Planning Association’s Planning and Law Division newsletter. Additionally, I contributed to MICHAEL B. MUSHLIN’S, RIGHTS OF PRISONERS (2012/2013 Supp). Before moving to White Plains, New York, I interned in a Santa Barbara non-profit law firm working to maintain agriculturally zoned parcels along California’s central coast. This up-coming year, I am excited to serve as treasurer of the Land Use and Sustainable Development Law Society, at Pace Law School, and looking forward to my involvement to working as an Associate on the Pace Environmental Law Review.

2012 Summer Position: Legal Intern, Pace Law School Land Use Law Center for Sustainable Development.

Hilary Atzrott

I have always had an interest in land use and development, yet did not know how such an interest could translate into a legal career. While researching law school, I discovered the topic of land use law. After graduating with degrees in Finance and Marketing from Saint Joseph’s University, I began my legal journey, working as a clerk for a land use attorney and interning at a non-profit urban redevelopment agency. This past summer I chose to explore different aspects of development and property ownership. I clerked at a tax certiorari firm, representing commercial and residential property owners against municipalities. Additionally, I have begun an internship at Starwood Hotels and Resorts focused on real estate contracts. Through these experiences, I have gained a better understanding of land use and property issues from a variety of perspectives. My goal is to take my well-rounded, multifaceted background of skills to become a land use attorney focused on consulting corporations and developers on the benefits of environmentally focused growth through land use.

2012 Summer Positions: Summer Law Clerk, Griffin, Coogan, Blose, and Sulzer, Bronxville, NY, Tax Certiorari; Summer/Fall 2012 Intern, Starwood Hotels and Resorts, Stamford, CT, Real Estate Contracts

James Lierman

I graduated from Stony Brook University with a Bachelors in Business Management and a Minor in Chemistry. Additionally, in 2008 I received my Real Estate Broker’s license from the Ivy Real Estate School of Education. I currently have two years’ experience as a law clerk at the Law Office of Todd Rothenberg Esq., a real estate law firm, and recently started as an intern at Star Wood Capital Group, a real estate investment firm. I have also gained litigation experience through interning at the Bronx County District Attorney’s Office, narcotics bureau. I have focused my law school course study towards real estate and corporate law. Upon graduation, I hope to gain a position with a large to mid-sized real estate or corporate law firm.

2012 Summer Position: Law Clerk at the Law Office of Todd Rothenberg Esq.; Real Estate Law Firm located in New Rochelle, N.Y.

John Dalo

I grew up in New Jersey and was constantly outdoors playing soccer, hiking, and working as a ski instructor during the winter. Despite being from a state that’s not particularly known for its environmental consciousness, I have always had a deep appreciation for nature. I majored in Political Science at the University of Delaware, and minored in journalism and geography. While I was an undergrad I was lucky enough to travel to some of the most beautiful natural landscapes in the word. As a junior I studied film in New Zealand and the Cook Islands, and also participated in a glacial research project in the Cascade Mountains of Washington and Oregon. These experiences weighed heavily on my decision to study environmental law at Pace, which I see as the intersection of two of my passions; the political system and nature. This past summer I had the opportunity of working with Professor John Nolon, one of the foremost land use and sustainable development experts in the country, at the Land Use Law Center. At the Center I gained a broad understanding of sustainable development and zoning practices through researching and drafting memoranda on local environmental statutes from various parts of the United States. In addition, I interned with Lieberman & Blecher, P.C., and environmental boutique, where I worked on property and toxic tort cases and helped draft and edit a book on New Jersey environmental law. I intend to channel my legal education at Pace into a career with a large environmental firm that works to protect pristine environments throughout the country and around the globe.

2012 Summer Position: Legal Intern, Land Use Law Center, Pace Law School; Legal Intern, Lieberman & Blecher, P.C.

Kaitlyn Allen

I grew up in Bronx, New York and always knew that I wanted to study science, but had no idea how I wanted to apply it. I graduated from the University of New Hampshire in 2011. My major was environmental conservation studies with a concentration in international environmental policy and sustainable development and a minor in anthropology. In college, I worked in a child development center where I was always able to share my love of science with the children and also interned for the Sierra Club where I was able educate New Hampshire communities about environmental issues and encourage them to stand up for their rights. This past summer I worked in a law firm in White Plains, where I learned a lot about real estate transactions and how to work in a legal setting. I hope to someday use my experiences to work with scientists in making environmental policies that protect the future of our planet as well as the present rights of those affected by environmental legislation.

2012 Summer Position: Law Clerk, Beck, Liebman, Petrone P.C. White Plains, NY.

Kimberly Pierce Cortes

My background is primarily technical. I have a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry and Environmental Science and Policy and Master’s degree in Environmental Science. After graduate school, I shifted my focus to policy. I worked for two years at the Tampa Bay Partnership advocating for improved public transportation and walkable communities. I came to law school hoping to combine my scientific and environmental background with legal practice. As part of my work as a legal intern this summer, I researched and drafted memos relating to the New York State Environmental Quality Review Act and other environmental issues. This gave me great exposure to the field of environmental law that I look forward to continuing as part of PELR. In the future, I hope to work in the areas of alternative energy and other clean technologies, either in a traditional environmental law context or from an intellectual property perspective. I am also very interested in international environmental law, particularly as it relates to climate change and the management of shared resources like water and air.

2012 Summer Position: For the summer of 2012, I worked as a legal intern with Riverkeeper, Inc focused primarily on the issue of hydraulic fracturing in New York State.

Lisa Covert

While growing up in rural Upstate New York, I was constantly surrounded by nature. For my undergraduate career, I attended Western New England College in Springfield, Massachusetts, where I majored in business management, minored in sustainability management and psychology, and was president of the Global Sustainability Club and treasurer of the Outing Club. Currently, I am studying at Pace Law School, in hopes to become an environmental attorney. This past summer I was a legal intern at the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation on Long Island. There, I had a great experience practicing enforcement actions and being involved in many steps of the administrative enforcement process. The Region 1 Office covered an interesting region where New York suburbs meet farmlands, beaches, and areas in need of conservation. The resources on Long Island, including the sole-source aquifer and wetlands, are of great importance for protection, which made working on Long Island a special experience. The knowledge I gained in my internship will be beneficial in any aspect of environmental law I pursue.

2012 Summer Position: Legal Intern, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, Region 1 Office in Stony Brook, New York.

Lisa Weinstein

I grew up in a small river town north of New York City, just minutes from the Hudson River. I completed my undergraduate degree in government at Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, NY. While at Skidmore I interned with the Sierra Club Atlantic Chapter in Albany, NY. After graduating from college in 2009, I decided to gain experience in a new discipline, and thus secured a job at UBS Investment Bank in Stamford, Connecticut. I am now studying law at Pace University, hoping to ultimately combine my passions for environmental law and civil rights. During this past summer I clerked for the Association of Clean Water Administrators (ACWA) in Washington, D.C., keeping the Association members abreast of any legal or environmental issues that may have been of concern to them. In August, I joined ACWA in Park City, Utah for their annual meeting.

2012 Summer Position: Summer Law Clerk, Association of Clean Water Administrators (ACWA), Washington, D.C.

Megan Hopper-Rebegea

I grew up as a child in an Air Force family moving approximately every two years and developed an interest in the different environments of the United States. I majored in Natural Resources and minored in Animal Science at Cornell University and received my Masters in Environmental Science from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Before coming to Pace, I spent three years as an Environmental Education Volunteer with the Peace Corps in Onesti and Bacau Romania. I am studying at Pace in hopes of combining my interest in human rights and the environment as an attorney specializing in environmental justice. This summer, I interned in Chambers working on the judgments for the last two cases at the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda. I hope to take the international and human rights experience from Tanzania in combination with my environmental background in my future law practice.

2012 Summer Position: Chambers Intern, International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, Arusha, Tanzania.

Nicole Sasaki

I am a San Francisco Bay Area native, having grown up in the East Bay. I double majored in Political Science and History at the University of California, Berkeley. After undergrad, I worked as a paralegal at the progressive Oakland, California firm Siegel & Yee on civil rights, employment and labor law litigation. Now I am studying at Pace Law School to become an environmental law attorney. Over the summer, I interned at the New York Environmental Law & Justice Project, a non-profit public interest organization promoting environmental justice in New York City. I hope to take this experience to work at an environmental watchdog organization.

2012 Summer Position: Legal Intern, New York Environmental Law & Justice Project in New York, NY

Sara Papasidero

I grew up on the north shore of Long Island with an appreciation for the beauty of nearby beaches and the Long Island Sound. I pursued my interest in government policy and the environment at Hofstra University, where I studied political science and minored in geology. Intrigued by courses in climate change and the need for sustainable land use in rapidly developing communities, I continued my education at Pace University School of Law. This summer, I interned at the Nassau County District Attorney’s Office, where I assisted in handling the research, writing, and court proceedings that Assistant District Attorneys attend to on a daily basis. This experience exposed me to the fast-paced work involved with protecting the public interest. As a future attorney practicing environmental law, my goal is to guide companies and communities as they adapt to new and developing environmental and land use regulations.

2012 Summer Position: Legal Intern, Nassau County District Attorney’s Office in Hempstead, NY.

Sophia Ressler

I grew up on an island in the Puget Sound in Washington called Vashon that’s nestled in between Seattle and Tacoma and only accessible by ferry boat. For undergraduate I decided to switch coasts in order to attend Colgate University where I graduated with a Spanish major which allowed me to spend a semester in Madrid as well as one in Santiago de los Caballeros in the Dominican Republic. I also majored in Geography where my love for water resources was fostered. I graduated from Colgate in 2009 and after a short stint back in Seattle I moved to New York City where I was a waitress until starting at Pace. This past summer I worked for Judge Francesca Connolly in the New York Supreme Court as well as back in Seattle at a firm that specializes in personal injury and criminal defense. I hope to become an environmental attorney and continue my work and further my interest with water resources and water enforcement.

2012 Summer Position: Judicial Intern, New York State Supreme Court and Legal Intern, Law Offices of Ressler and Tesh PLLC, Seattle, WA